Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The Iguana Tree by Michel Stone


Set amid the perils of illegal border crossings, The Iguana Tree is the suspenseful saga of Lilia and Hector, who separately make their way from Mexico into the United States, seeking work in the Carolinas and a home for their infant daughter.


At my college orientation a few weeks ago, we were given this book to read over the summer for a book report we will have to complete sometime this fall. Naturally, I wasn't too ecstatic. I can't recall a time that I enjoyed a book assigned for me to read. 

This time was totally different. The Iguana Tree was a beautifully-written tale of a hardworking Mexican man named Hector and his struggle with his hard-headed wife to find what's most important to them. 

I can't write too much in this review without giving away the many twists and turns this plot takes. What I will say, however, is that this is one of the only books that has made me laugh out loud while crying all at the same time. I'm not joking, people, this book literally made me bawl. 

The characters were so believably hilarious and endearing. Michel Stone (being from South Carolina herself, a Clemson grad!) really captured the essence of the friendly, honest Southerners. We'll do anything for people who are kind to us. 

I definitely recommend this book to anyone who loves a heart-wrenching story. Heck, I think this could even become a movie. I'd watch it. 

I rated The Iguana Tree 5/5 stars, just because I fell in love with the characters almost immediately. This book solely relied on them, and a plot as amazing as this one couldn't have been executed without the amazing characters behind it. 






No comments:

Post a Comment