Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling


Harry Potter has never played a sport while flying on a broomstick. He's never worn a Cloak of Invisibility, befriended a giant, or helped hatch a dragon. All Harry knows is a miserable life with the Dursleys, his horrible aunt and uncle, and their abominable son, Dudley. Harry's room is a tiny cupboard under the stairs, and he hasn't had a birthday party in ten years.

But all that is about to change when a mysterious letter arrives by owl messenger: a letter with an invitation to a wonderful place he never dreamed existed. There he finds not only friends, aerial sports, and magic around every corner, but a great destiny that's been waiting for him... if Harry can survive the encounter.



If you readers are anything like myself, you've grown up on this series. Reading and rereading the books, joining the fan clubs, going to movie and book premieres at midnight, decked out in Gryffindor robes with wands in hand. The works.

When I decided to reread the series for fun this year, I was little scared that the magic was going to die for me. I was afraid that I was too "grown-up" for a middle-grade adventure book. I was so happy when I got through the first few chapters and realized that I was wrong.

The writing in this book is something that I can't even compare to even the other YA and adult books that I've read. The descriptions and the plot just blow everything else out of the water. I became immersed in a world that I haven't truly visited since my childhood.

The characters were just brilliant, too. You've got Harry, the scrawny kid who proves that good will always triumph over evil, along with his sidekicks, Ron and Hermione, who are just as lovable. Together, they have to reveal the secrets hidden within their school of witchcraft and stop someone from stealing the Sorcerer's Stone for the evil Lord Voldemort (who is also the most evil villain I have ever encountered in a series. Seriously, he gives me the heebie jeebies).

Overall, I gave this book 5/5 stars, which isn't surprising. Anyone who hasn't read this book, please, please, for the love of all that is good, read it. I promise you'll love it, and the series only gets better from here. I hope to re-read the rest of the series by the end of this year, between all of the other books I have in a big TBR pile!

No comments:

Post a Comment