Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Cinder by Marissa Meyer


Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. 

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.


As many of you know, I've been wanting to read this book for quite some time. As the months went by and it sat on my bookshelf still unread, I became a tad bit skeptic just because I started assuming that it was going to be your typical teen novel. Sixteen year-old heroine saves the day and gets the guy even though she's 90% sure he'll hate her. 

I'm really happy to say that Cinder was nothing like this. The story line was amazing, and it seems like in every chapter, there was a new plot twist. It definitely kept me on my toes and turning pages. As busy as I am, I'm actually surprised that I finished it this quickly. 

The characters were really well developed in my opinion, although I feel like Cinder was older than she acted. I feel like she was more in my age group (eighteen-nineteen) than sixteen. Maybe it has something to do with her dystopian environment, who knows. The antagonist of the story, the Lunar queen, was just pure evil. I love to hate her. That makes her the best kind of villain. 

What I really liked was the world-building. It wasn't overwhelming, but Meyer definitely conveyed a lot of information about the new Earth that she's created through dialogue. 

At the moment, I'm searching frantically for somewhere to purchase the sequel, because the last chapter was definitely a cliff-hanger. 

I seriously just cannot express how much I loved this book. Its fairy tale elements, its suspenseful plot, just everything. (Oh and a mega-hot prince). 

Most definitely deserves a rating of 5/5 stars. 

If you haven't read this book yet, go. Just go now. Exit out of my blog and go. GO. 


No comments:

Post a Comment