Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline



It's the year 2044, and the real world is an ugly place. 

Like most of humanity, Wade Watts escapes his grim surroundings by spending his waking hours jacked into the OASIS, a sprawling virtual utopia that lets you be anything you want to be, a place where you can live and play and fall in love on any of ten thousand planets. 

And like most of humanity, Wade dreams of being the one to discover the ultimate lottery ticket that lies concealed within this virtual world. For somewhere inside this giant networked playground, OASIS creator James Halliday has hidden a series of fiendish puzzles that will yield massive fortune--and remarkable power--to whoever can unlock them. 




Honestly, I'm torn. I'm not entirely sure how I felt about this book. In the beginning, I was struck with this awesome sense that this book was going to be righteous, because the idea was just that good. But now that I've finished it, I feel like Ernest Cline did a really poor job of executing his great idea.

The story line was magnificent, and for that I gave it 4/5 stars. However, sometimes I felt that the characters were a little hard to relate to, because they were so smart. Too smart. No teenager, not even in the year 2044, could possibly possess half of the information that Wade does. I feel like if Wade Watts was a real, truly live human being living in the world, he wouldn't be stuck living in a trailer park. People with his intellect get jobs, no matter what the year. So it was a little annoying to me, how he constantly whined about his life, when he did absolutely nothing about it other than log into the OASIS every single day.

However, I must say that the world and plot-building was right up my alley. I love the 1980's and I really enjoyed learning trivia about the '80's pop culture along the way.

I didn't like this book as well as I thought I would, but I still gave it 4/5 stars because the story line was just amazing.


No comments:

Post a Comment